This timepiece boldly proclaims the positions adopted by Richard Mille and showcased in each of its creations. It interprets its declaration of faith: to innovate continually and in total freedom, even if this means flagrant subversion of traditional watchmaking classicism. This model immediately exhibits the aesthetic vocabulary used to produce its watchmaking architecture. Stripping away the conventional opaque dial and opening up the caseback through transparent sapphire within the broad, curvaceous bezels reveals the architectural interior in its entirety. The 3D effect can be observed from every angle. Our journey to the interior of the watch can begin. A long tracking shot through the mechanism reveals an infinite complexity of interacting gears and parts in a microscopic universe of motion. Richard Mille wanted the ergonomics to be revolutionary, and this forced to resolve a vital contradiction: how to combine the concavity of the caseback – essential for comfort, as it fits the anatomy of the wrist perfectly – with the horizontal plane essential to the construction of the mechanism.
Building upon the premiere use and consequent success of the carbon nanofibre baseplate developed for Richard Mille’s tourbillon wristwatches, a new interpretation of this high-tech material combined with a case of microblasted titanium is added to the existing collection.
TORQUE INDICATOR Shows the mainspring’s tension: below 53 dNmm, the spring is too slack; at the other extreme, above 65 dNmm, excessive tension can adversely affect the running of the movement and may even cause damage.
POWER RESERVE Circa 70 hours Indicated on the numeric scale to the left of the winding barrel.
FUNCTION SELECTOR In a manner similar to a car’s gearbox, a push-button located at the center of the crown allows one to select the winding, neutral and hand setting functions with a simple push : W (Winding) – N (Neutral) – H (Hands).)
CALIBER RM002-V2 Manual winding Tourbillon movement with hours, minutes, power reserve, torque indicator and function selector.
VARIABLE INERTIA, FREE SPRUNG BALANCE
The free-sprung balance gives better reliability in the event of shocks, movement assembly and disassembly, and also guarantees better chronometric results over an extended period of time.
BARREL PAWL WITH PROGRESSIVE RECOIL
This device permits an appreciable winding gain (circa 20 %), especially during the start of winding. It also aids in the even distribution of the mainspring’s internal tension.
WINDING BARREL TEETH AND THIRD-WHEEL PINION WITH CENTRAL INVOLUTE PROFILE
The central involute profile of the winding barrel teeth and pinion provides an optimal pressure angle of 20°. This promotes effective rotary motion and allows for compensation of possible variations in the engagement of the going train, thus insuring excellent torque transmission with a distinct improvement in performance.
- Movement dimensions: 30.20 x 28.60 mm • Thickness: 6.35 mm
- Tourbillon diameter: 12.30 mm
- Balance wheel diameter: 10.00 mm
- Jewels: 23, set in white gold chatons • Balance: Glucydur, 2 arms, 4 setting screws, moment of inertia
10 mg•cm2, angle of lift 53°
- Frequency: 21,600 vph (3 Hz)
- Balance spring: ELINVAR by Nivarox®
- Torque indicator: with reference measurement in dNmm
- Shock protection: KIF ELASTOR KE 160 B28
- Barrel shaft: in nickel-free chronifer
(DIN x 46 Cr 13 + S) with the following characteristics: - stainless - antimagnetic - suitable for tempering
- Anglage and polishing by hand
- Locking sections hand polished
- Sapphire blasted milled sections
- Lapped and polished contact points
- Burnished pivots
- Sapphire blasted surfaces
- Anglage and polishing by hand
- Concave chamfering with a diamond tool
- Circular finished faces
- Gilded (before cutting the teeth)
- Minimal corrections applied to the wheels in order to preserve geometry and performance.
Length 45 x 38.30 x 11.95 mm