One of the most complicated timepieces ever released in the watchmaking industry. Our aim was to tackle the drawbacks of traditional chronographs, reducing the jump of the hand at the start of timing, for example. We achieved this by reworking the entire gear train to reduce inertia. Instant locking of the split-seconds hand was obtained by achieving extreme precision of clearance in the pincers, thus stopping the wheel on both sides simultaneously. We also concentrated on ensuring the ease of operation of this complex model, and on optimising its performance in various ways. We incorporated a torque sensor to guarantee optimum winding, with a hand showing the zone of ideal spring tension, like the revolutions counter on a sports car. We also added a function indicator to show whether the watch is in Winding, Handsetting or Neutral mode. The complexity of this model is the consequence of perfecting all these functions simultaneously.
The RM 004 Felipe Massa has a baseplate in carbon nanofibre, split second chronograph and bears the colours of the Brazilian flag on its inner bezel and a red crown.
Limited edition of 25 pieces in red gold, 10 in white gold and 5 in titanium.
TORQUE INDICATOR Shows the mainspring’s tension: below 53 dNmm, the spring is too slack; at the other extreme, above 65 dNmm, excessive tension can adversely affect the running of the movement and may even cause damage.
POWER RESERVE Circa 50 hours Numerical indications to the left of the barrel.
FUNCTION INDICATOR In a manner similar to a car's gearbox, the function indicator allows one to see the winding, neutral and hand setting positions as the crown is pulled out. Each position is indicated via a hand at 4 o’clock displaying the following functions: W(Winding) – N(Neutral) – H(Hands).
CALIBER RM 004-V2 Manual winding movement with hours, minutes, chronograph, split seconds, power reserve, torque indicator, function indicator.
TORQUE LIMITING CROWN
This added security system prevents accidental overwinding of the watch, the result of which can cause damage such as breaking the winding stem or putting too much pressure on the barrel spring.
BARREL PAWL WITH PROGRESSIVE RECOIL
This device permits an appreciable winding gain (circa 20%), especially during the start of winding. It also aids in the even distribution of the mainspring’s internal tension.
WINDING BARREL TEETH AND THIRD-WHEEL PINION WITH CENTRAL INVOLUTE PROFILE
The central involute profile of the winding barrel teeth and pinion provides an optimal pressure angle of 20°. This promotes effective rotary motion and allows for compensation of possible variations in the engagement of the going train, thus insuring excellent torque transmission with a distinct improvement in performance.
- Movement dimensions: 30.20 x 28.60 mm • Thickness: 7.67 mm
- Balance wheel diameter: 10.00 mm
- Jewels: 31
- Balance wheel: Glucydur, 2 arms, 4 setting screws
- Moment of Inertia: 11.50 mg•cm2, lever angle 53°
- Frequency: 21,600 vph (3 Hz)
- Center bridge: in grade 5 titanium
- Balance spring: ELINVAR by Nivarox®
- Shock protection: KIF ELASTOR KE 160 B28 • Barrel shaft: Steel sandwich, 20 AP
- Anglage and polishing by hand
- Locking sections hand polished
- Sapphire blasted milled sections
- Lapped and polished contact points • Burnished pivots
- Sapphire blasted surfaces
- Anglage and polishing by hand
- Concave chamfering with a diamond tool
- Circular finished faces
- Gilded (before cutting the teeth)
- Minimal corrections applied to the wheels in order to preserve geometry and performance.
Length 48 mm x 39.70 mm x 14.95 mm