The RM 017 embodied our next challenge: how to reconcile the extra flat with the complex mechanism of a tourbillon. The paradox was similar to trying to construct a Formula 1 racing car from a luxury saloon automobile. What thrilled me about this was creating a harmony between excellence/mechanical performance and ergonomics.
This model enables the unobstructed contemplation of a technical spectacle thanks to a clear field of vision: the large Roman hour-markers are engraved/suggested on the sapphire crystal itself. To enhance the timepiece’s visual beauty, extremely slender bridges were used to highlight its architecture and mechanical structure, clearly visible through the case back.
Rectangular case. Available in titanium, 18k white gold or red gold, and gem-set case.
TORQUE LIMITING CROWN IN TITANIUM This additional security system prevents from accidental overwinding, which could cause damage such as the winding stem breaking or too much pressure on the barrel spring.
POWER RESERVE Circa 70 hours, located on a scale at 2 o’clock.
FUNCTION INDICATOR In a manner similar to a car's gearbox, the function indicator allows one to see the winding, neutral and hand setting positions as the crown is pulled out. Each position is indicated via a hand at 4 o’clock displaying the following functions: W (Winding) – N (Neutral) – H (Hands).
CALIBER RM 017 Manual winding, extra flat tourbillon movement with hours, minutes, power reserve and function indicator.
CERAMIC ENDSTONE FOR THE TOURBILLON CAGE
This reflects a technical and long-term view towards the elimination of wear phenomena, resulting in improved technical tribology.
SPLINE SCREWS IN GRADE 5 TITANIUM FOR THE BRIDGES
This permits better control of the torque applied to the screws during assembly. These screws are therefore unaffected by physical manipulation during assembly or disassembly and age well.
BARREL PAWL WITH PROGRESSIVE RECOIL
This device permits an appreciable winding gain (circa 20%), especially during the start of winding. It is also helpful in the distribution of the mainspring’s internal tension.
WINDING BARREL TEETH AND THIRD-WHEEL PINION WITH CENTRAL INVOLUTE PROFILE
The central involute profile of the winding barrel teeth and pinion provides an optimal pressure angle of 20°. This promotes effective rotary motion and allows for compensation of possible variations in the engagement of the going train, thus insuring excellent torque transmission with a distinct improvement in performance.
- Movement dimensions: 31.20 x 29.45 mm • Thickness: 4.65 mm
- Tourbillon diameter: 12.30 mm
- Balance wheel diameter: 10.00 mm
- Jewels: 23, set in white gold chatons
- Balance: Glucydur, 2 arms, 4 setting screws,
moment of inertia 10 mg•cm2, angle of lift 53° • Frequency: 21,600 vph (3 Hz)
- Balance spring: ELINVAR by Nivarox®
- Shock protection: KIF ELASTOR KE 160 B28
- Barrel shaft: in nickel-free chronifer
(DIN x 46 Cr 13 + S)
with the following characteristics:
stainless - antimagnetic - suitable for tempering.
- Anglage and polishing by hand
- Locking sections hand polished
- Sapphire blasted milled sections
- Lapped and polished contact points • Burnished pivots
- Sapphire blasted surfaces
- Anglage and polishing by hand • Burnished sections
- Satin finished surfaces
- Concave chamfering with a diamond tool
- Circular finished faces
- Rhodium-plating (before cutting the teeth)
- Minimal corrections applied to the wheels in order to preserve geometry and performance.
49.80 mm x 38.00 mm x 8.70 mm