Continuing the expansion and application of truly unique materials to watchmaking, the RM 021 is the first watch created with a composite baseplate utilizing a titanium exterior framework in combination with honeycombed orthorhombic titanium alumide and carbon nanofiber.
Richard Mille always dreamt of incorporating a titanium honeycomb structure, a concept traditionally used in aeronautics, and this choice gave a baseplate that was both rigid and very light. The objective was to juxtapose and laser-weld each tiny cell. This achievement on such a microscopic scale is a major technical tour de force in the world of 21st century horology.
FUNCTION SELECTOR In a manner similar to a car's gearbox, a push-button located at the center of the crown allows one to select the winding, neutral and hand setting functions with a simple push. A hand at 4 o’clock displays the selected function: W (Winding) – N (Neutral) – H (Hands).
SPLINE SCREWS IN GRADE 5 TITANIUM FOR THE BRIDGES AND CASE This permits better control of the torque applied to the screws during assembly. These screws are therefore unaffected by physical manipulation during assembly or disassembly and age well.
TORQUE INDICATOR Utilizing a numeric scale located between 12 and 1 o’clock, the indicator provides visualization of the mainspring’s internal tension, allowing optimization of the movement’s timing. Below 53 dNmm, the spring is too slack; at the other extreme, above 65 dNmm, excessive tension can adversely affect the running of the movement and may even cause damage.
CALIBER RM 021 Manual winding tourbillon movement with hours, minutes, power reserve, torque indicator and function selector.
FREE SPRUNG BALANCE
The free-sprung balance gives better reliability in the event of shocks, movement assembly and disassembly, and also guarantees better chronometric results over an extended period of time.
BARREL PAWL WITH PROGRESSIVE RECOIL
This device permits an appreciable winding gain (circa 20 %), especially during the start of winding. It also aids in the even distribution of the mainspring’s internal tension.
- Movement dimensions: 30.20 x 28.60 mm • Thickness: 6.35 mm
- Tourbillon diameter: 12.30 mm
- Balance wheel diameter: 10.00 mm
- Jewels: 27, set in white gold chatons • Balance: Glucydur, 2 arms,
4 setting screws, moment of inertia
10 mg•cm2, angle of lift 53o
- Frequency: 21,600 vph (3 Hz)
- Balance spring: ELINVAR by Nivarox® • Torque indicator: with reference
measurement in dNmm
- Shock protection: KIF ELASTOR KE 160 B28 • Barrel shaft: in nickel-free chronifer
(DIN x 46 Cr 13 + S)
with the following characteristics: stainless- antimagnetic- suitable for tempering
- Anglage and polishing by hand
- Locking sections hand polished
- Sapphire blasted milled sections
- Lapped and polished contact points • Burnished pivots
- Sapphire blasted surfaces
- Anglage and polishing by hand
- Concave chamfering with a diamond tool
- Circular finished faces
- Gilded (before cutting the teeth) • Minimal corrections applied
to the wheels in order to preserve geometry and performance.
Length 48.18 mm x 39.70 mm (widest point) x 13.95 mm (thickest area).