As for the RM 021, the new RM 022 communicates space and supersonic speed that inspire the brand since 2001. However this Tourbillon has another attribute in that it is the first watch to combine a dual time zone with an external structure in titanium combined with orthorhombic titanium aluminides and carbon nanofibres.
Richard Mille wanted to take the successful experiments with the RM 021 a stage further, making the watch more convenient to use for frequent travellers.
So a new time zone was added.
For this tourbillon model, he retained again the extreme comfort that was achieved to make the watch more enjoyable to wear and live with.
The titanium honeycomb structure is the main contributing factor.
TORQUE INDICATOR Utilising a numeric scale located between 12 and 1 o’clock, the indicator provides visualisation of the mainspring’s internal tension, allowing optimisation of the movement’s timing. Below 53 dNmm, the spring is too slack; at the other extreme, above 65 dNmm, excessive tension can adversely affect the running of the movement and may even cause damage.
FUNCTION SELECTOR In a manner similar to a car's gearbox, a push-button located at the center of the crown allows one to select the winding, neutral and hand setting functions with a simple push. A hand at 4 o’clock displays the selected function: W (Winding) – N (Neutral) – H (Hands).
DUAL TIME ZONE INDICATOR Indicates a dual time zone with hours on a transparent sapphire crystal disc. These come into view when suspended above the light colored field located near 3 o’clock. The dual time zone is simple to adjust via a pusher located at 9 o’clock.
CALIBER RM 022 Manual winding tourbillon movement with hours, minutes, dual time zone, power reserve, torque indicator and function selector.
VARIABLE INERTIA, FREE SPRUNG BALANCE
The free-sprung balance gives better reliability in the event of shocks, movement assembly and disassembly, and also guarantees better chronometric results over an extended period of time.
CERAMIC ENDSTONE FOR THE TOURBILLON CAGE
This reflects a technical and long-term view towards the elimination of wear phenomena, resulting in improved technical tribology.
CENTRAL BRIDGE IN RIGIDIFIED ARCAP
Ensures high rigidity of the baseplate and the bridge assembly of the going train.
BARREL PAWL WITH PROGRESSIVE RECOIL
This device permits an appreciable winding gain (circa 20 %), especially during the start of winding. It also aids in the even distribution of the mainspring’s internal tension.
- Movement dimensions: 30.20 x 28.60 mm • Thickness: 7.14 mm
- Tourbillon diameter: 12.30 mm
- Balance wheel diameter: 10.00 mm
- Jewels: 28, set in white gold chatons • Balance: Glucydur, 2 arms,
4 setting screws, moment of inertia
10 mg•cm2, angle of lift 53°
- Frequency: 21,600 vph (3 Hz)
- Balance spring: ELINVAR by Nivarox® • Torque indicator: with reference
measurement in dNmm
- Shock protection: KIF ELASTOR KE 160 B28 • Barrel shaft: in nickel-free chronifer
(DIN x 46 Cr 13 + S) with the following characteristics: stainless- antimagnetic- suitable for tempering
- Anglage and polishing by hand
- Locking sections hand polished
- Sapphire blasted milled sections
- Lapped and polished contact points
- Burnished pivots
- Sapphire blasted surfaces
- Anglage and polishing by hand
- Concave chamfering with a diamond tool • Circular finished faces
- Gilded (before cutting the teeth)
- Minimal corrections applied to the wheels in order to preserve geometry and performance.
Length 48 mm x 39.70 mm (widest point) x 13.85 mm (thickest area).