Richard Mille likes the physical motions involved in this sport, which combine amplitude with precision, and the surprising sequence that contrasts moments of Zen-like preparation of concentration followed by the instantaneous shock of the shot, the long period of the ball’s trajectory and the subsequent walk to the next tee. This watch was directly linked to the developments that took place in creating the tourbillon model for Bubba Watson.
The experience in developing resistance to G forces in Richard Mille watches led to choose grade 5 titanium for the baseplate and bridges of this “skeletonised” movement, as it is a material that provides the rigidity required for the accuracy and reliability of the movement. Available in rubberized grade-5 titanium caseband and back with ATZ front bezel.
CALIBER RMUL2 Manual winding skeleton movement with hours, minutes and seconds; inspired by Caliber RM UL1. Movement weight: 4.3 grams.
SPLINE SCREWS IN GRADE 5 TITANIUM FOR THE CASE Their shape allows better control of the torque applied to these screws during assembly. The screws are thus perfectly resistant to manipulation during assembly and disassembly and are exposed to minimal wear and tear.
CASE ATZ bezel case with a rubberized grade-5 titanium caseband and back. The ATZ bezel is based on aluminium oxide powder tubes injected at a pressure of 2,000 bar. This high-pressure injection increases rigidity by 20-30% and reduces the material's porosity to an absolute minimum. ATZ has the reputation of being a particularly scratch-resistant material (1,400 Vickers), and possessing an unchangeable colour. After diamond, it is one of the hardest materials in the world.
BASEPLATE AND BRIDGES IN TITANIUM The manufacturing of these components in grade 5 titanium with black PVD coating for the bottom plate and the bridges gives the whole assembly a great rigidity and achieves excellent surface flatness, essential to the perfect functioning of the gear train. The skeletonised bottom plate and the bridges have been subjected to complete validation tests to optimise their stress resistance.
A long and difficult machining and moulding process using diamond tools is necessary to create the complex form of this
bevel, which is given a final matt surface finish.
These qualities make this the ideal material for a bezel, an area highly exposed to impact.
The case middle and back are in grade 5 titanium with a protective white rubber casing. This is based on the principle of rubber being injected at high pressure around the titanium component. This injected elastomer isolates and absorbs any vibration.
The combination of grade 5 titanium, an exceptionally light and resistant material, with the softness and strength of rubber, makes for very comfortable wearing.
The case of the RM 055 is water resistant to 30 metres. It is assembled using 20 grade 5 titanium screws and abrasion-resistant washers in 316L stainless steel.
DOUBLE BARREL SYSTEM
The double barrel system helps improve torque stability over a longer period by reducing pressure and
wear on the teeth, bearings and pivots, resulting in improved performance.
- Bezel side: in sapphire (1,800 Vickers) with anti-glare coating (on both sides).
- Thickness: 1.50 mm
- Case back: in sapphire (1,800 Vickers) with anti-glare coating (on both sides).
- Thickness: 1.20 mm and 2.04 mm at the outer edges
- Movement dimensions: 30.25 x 28.45 mm
- Thickness: 3.15 mm
- Number of jewels: 24
- Barrel arbour in 20AP steel
- Balance wheel: GLUCYDUR, 4 arms, moment of inertia 4.8 mg.cm2, angle of lift 53°
- Frequency: 28,000 vibrations per hour (4 Hz)
- Balance spring: Elinvar
- Shock protection: Incabloc 908.22.211.100 (transparent)
- Escapement wheel jewels: Rubifix (transparent)
- Two winding shaft positions: winding and hand setting
- Baseplate and bridges in grade 5 titanium, wet sanded, coated in PVD and with a straight-line grain finish after coating
- Hand-polished lock-points
- Burnished pivots
- Pinions with undercuts
- Sandblasted and rhodium-plated bevelled wheels
(before cutting the teeth)
- Minimal corrections to preserve the geometry of the wheels
and their performance.
- Screw slot and screws bevelled and polished with rounded and polished tip
- Straight-line grain finish of the upper surfaces - Lower surfaces microblasted
- Hand-polished surfaces
- Hand-polished angles
- Sandblasted and rhodium-plated bevelled wheels (before cutting the teeth)
- Minimal corrections applied to the wheels in order to preserve geometry and performance.
49.90 mm x 42.70 mm x 13.05 mm.