50 years of automotive passion, 50 years down an exceptional career path. At Chantilly Art & Elegance 2016 we celebrated alongside the man who wrote the greatest pages of motorsport history with an amazing Jubilee. In honor of his friend, Richard Mille has now dedicated three models to him, each bearing Jean Todt’s name and favourite colours.
Thus the obvious solution, to reveal the whole architecture of this model in 3D, was a transparent case. And the additional difficulty here was to make it from sapphire crystal. Due to the composition of this material (crystals of aluminium oxide), machining it is an absolutely colossal undertaking. This watchcase, in fact, takes three months to make and throws up a staggering rate of quality-control rejections.
If our watchcases were already reputed to be the most complex to make in the industry, this one became a feat that was nothing short of phenomenal.
It was what Richard Mille had been dreaming of: producing an object to be both seen and used.
Limited edition of 3 pieces.
TORQUE INDICATOR Supplies information about the mainspring’s tension, thus permitting the optimalization of the chronometric functioning of the movement.
FUNCTION INDICATOR In a manner similar to a car’s gearbox, the function indicator allows one to see the winding, neutral and hand setting positions as the crown is pulled out.
TOURBILLON DIAMETER 12.30 mm
CALIBER RMCC1 Manual winding tourbillon movement with hours, minutes, split-seconds chronograph and power reserve, torque and function indicators.
BALANCE WHEEL WITH VARIABLE INERTIA
This type of balance wheel which represents the ultimate in innovation, guarantees greater reliability when subjected to shock and also during assembly and dismantling of the movement, thus achieving better chronometric results over time. The index is eliminated, thereby allowing a more precise and repeatable adjustment using 4 setting screws.
FAST ROTATING BARREL (6 hours per revolution instead of 7.5 hours)
This type of barrel provides the following advantages:
- The phenomenon of periodic internal mainspring adhesion is significantly diminished, thereby increasing performance,
- Provision of an excellent mainspring delta curve with an ideal power reserve/performance and regularity ratio.
BARREL PAWL WITH PROGRESSIVE RECOIL
This device permits an appreciable winding gain (circa 20 %), especially during the start of winding.
It also aids in the even distribution of the mainspring’s internal tension.
WINDING BARREL TEETH AND THIRD-WHEEL PINION WITH CENTRAL INVOLUTE PROFILE
The wheel with a central developing profile and a pressure angle of 20° promotes rolling movement more effectively, compensates differences between centers, ensures excellent torque transmission and a distinct improvement in performance.
MODULAR TIME SETTING MECHANISM FITTED AGAINST THE CASE BACK
Provides the following advantages for longevity and maintenance:
- Since the component is mounted outside of the movement, the time setting assembly can be changed without affecting the integrity of the baseplate in the event of a possible defect or during maintenance,
- The mounting and dismantling of this module from the back will not require the removal of the hands and the dial.
SPLINE SCREWS IN GRADE 5 TITANIUM FOR THE CASE
This permits better control of the torque applied to the screws during assembly.
These screws are therefore unaffected by physical manipulation during assembly or disassembly and age well.
TORQUE LIMITING CROWN
This added security system prevents accidental overwinding of the watch, the result of which can cause damage such as breaking the winding stem or putting too much pressure on the barrel spring.
- Hand-polished bevelling
- Hand-polished locking-sections
- Microblasted milled sections
- Lapped and polished contact points
- Burnished pivots
- Wire-drawn and microblasted surfaces
- Hand-polished bevelling
- Concave chamfering with a diamond tool
- Circular-decorated faces
- Gilding (before cutting the teeth)
- Minimal corrections to preserve the geometry of the wheels and their performance
50.50 mm x 42.70 mm x 19.25 mm.