The Year of the Dragon, in 2012, gave the natural opportunity to celebrate our expertise by reproducing this mythical beast in all its splendour. In Chinese art, dragons are depicted as long, serpentine creatures with four legs. Unlike their European winged cousins, generally held to be evil, Chinese dragons symbolise benevolent power and are of good omen, particularly because they control water, rain and floods, despite also being associated with fire!
The magnificent work of engraving artists : the living form of the three-dimensional Dragon seems to weave its way between the bridges made of grade 5 titanium that fix the Black Onyx baseplate gold case.
Limited edition of 36 pieces in 18K white or red gold.
CALIBER RM057 Manual winding tourbillon movement with hours, minutes and power reserve indicator
DRAGON PATTERN No fewer than 20 engravers are required to create it and the engraving process takes many hours. A steady hand, skill and dexterity are essential for creating such a work of art. To produce a perfectly realistic dragon, for special versions, the scales are hand-painted using micropainting techniques providing a high level of detail. The whole piece is then fitted within the tourbillon movement with the dragon’s body twisting around the bridges, barrel and finally the tourbillon, which is clasped in its claws.
BLACK ONYX BASEPLATE Black Onyx is a variety of cryptocrystalline quartz chalcedony composed of silicium dioxide, (SiO2). The rectilinear black and white parallel stripes version is part of the agate types. The fully black type is called Black Onyx, and is said to be able to deflect harmful energy down to the earth, while providing stability. For this reason, Black Onyx is considered as a charm-stone against spells. Black Onyx also symbolizes equilibrium and inspiration.
DRAGON ENTWINED IN THE MOVEMENT The dragon, a mythical creature that has always been a symbol of power and authority. In China, it represented the supreme power of the Emperor, whereas today it is associated with prosperity and happiness. Entwined around the movement of the RM057 with its total thickness of just 5.5mm, is a dragon created from 18K red or white gold that has been entirely hand-engraved.
VARIABLE INERTIA, FREE SPRUNG BALANCE
The free-sprung balance provides better reliability in the event of shocks, movement assembly and
disassembly. It also guarantees better chronometric results over an extended period of time.
There is no need for an index plate, allowing more precise and frequent adjustment using 4 setting
Circa 48 hours. This function is displayed using a newly designed differential power reserve system
indicated by a red line on a moving disc located between 10 and 11 o’clock.
Upper and lower flanges in black grade 5 titanium.
- Bezel side: in sapphire (1,800 Vickers) with anti-glare coating (on both sides).
- Thickness: 1.50 mm
- Case back: in sapphire with anti-glare coating (on both sides)
- Thickness: 1.20 mm in the centre and 2.04 mm at the outer edges
- Movement dimensions: 32.80 mm x 29.00 mm
- Thickness: 5.17 mm
- Tourbillon diameter: 12.30 mm
- Balance wheel diameter: 9.12 mm
- Number of jewels: 21
- Balance wheel: Glucydur, 2 arms, 4 setting screws, moment of inertia 10 mg.cm2, angle of lift 53°
- Frequency: 21,600 vph (3 Hz)
- Balance spring: ELINVAR by NIVAROX
- Shock protection: KIF ELASTOR KE 160 B28
- Stones set in the white gold bezel settings
- Barrel arbour in nickel-free Chronifer (DIN x 46 Cr 13 + S), with the following characteristics:
stainless – non-magnetic – tempered
- Anglage and polishing by hand (excluding Onyx and PVD treated parts)
- Hand-polished lock-points
- Microblasted milled sections
- Lapped and polished contact points
- Burnished pivots
- PVD coating (except the Onyx baseplate)
- Microblasted surfaces
- Satin brushed surfaces
- Hand-polished bevelling
- Drawn sections
- Concave chamfering with a diamond tool
- Circular-decorated faces
- Surface treatment or rhodium plating (before cutting the teeth)
- Minimal corrections to preserve the geometry of the wheels and their performance
50 mm x 42.70 mm x 14.55 mm