The concept of the Evil Eye, also known as Ayin Harsha in Arabic, Mauvais OEil in French, Dhristi in Hindu and Ayin Ha’ra in Hebrew, is recorded in every culture from early history. This universal symbol of foreboding summons suffering and misfortune to whoever is exposed to its power. The Evil Eye knows no bounds except those imposed on it by various protective talismans, such as the Eye of Horus amulet, the Jewish red string or the Irish four leaf clover, to name just a few. Today, a new talisman to protect against these negative energies in the 21st century has been developed by a visionary of contemporary watchmaking. Nonconformist by nature, Richard Mille seized on this imagery as inspiration for the new RM 26-02 Tourbillon Evil Eye in much the same way as he did when creating the earlier RM 052 skull timepiece, recalling the spirit of Memento Mori with its remembrance of our personal mortality.
The Evil Eye is nestled at the heart of the tourbillon RM26-02 caliber, a manual winding movement with a power reserve
of approximately 50 hours indicated by a red line on a differential-driven, rotating disk located between 10 and 11
o’clock. Assembled using a plate and bridges in PVD-coated grade 5 titanium, which is highly resistant to corrosion and
remarkably strong, the tourbillon caliber movement beating at 3 Hz is insured a perfectly functioning environment.
Limited edition of 25 pieces.
BASEPLATE AND BRIDGES IN GRADE 5 TITANIUM Grade 5 titanium is a biocompatible, highly corrosion-resistant and remarkably rigid alloy, which enables the gear train to function effortlessly. The alloy is 90% titanium, 6% aluminium and 4% vanadium. This combination further increases its mechanical properties, which explains its frequent use in the aerospace, aeronautical and automobile industries.
TORQUE LIMITING CROWN This additional security system prevents from accidental overwinding, which could cause damage to the winding stem or put extreme pressure on the mainspring barrel.
INTERIOR FLANGES Upper flange in metal, with the hours index set with diamonds. Lower flange in metal, with the minutes index in white color.
CALIBER RM26-02 Manual winding tourbillon movement with hours, minutes and power reserve.
- Movement dimensions: 30,20 mm x 28,60 mm
- Thickness: 4,97 mm
- Tourbillon diameter: 12,30 mm
- Balance diameter: 9,12 mm
- Number of jewels: 21
- Balance: in Glucydur, with 2 arms and 4 setting screws, moment of inertia: 10 mg.cm2, angle of lift 53°
- Frequency: 3 Hz (21,600 vph)
- Balance spring: in ELINVAR by Nivarox®
- Shock absorbers: Kif Elastor by KE 160 B28
- Stone setting in white gold
- Barrel shafts: in nickel-free Chronifer (DIN x 46 Cr13 + S), with the following characteristics: stainless, non-magnetic,
Bezel side: in sapphire (1,800 Vickers) with anti-glare treatment (both sides). Thickness: 1.50 mm
Caseback: in sapphire with anti-glare treatment (both sides).
Thickness: at the center 1.20 mm and outer edges 2.04 mm
Circa 48 hours (±10%). This function is displayed using a differential power reserve system with a printed red line on a moving disc located between 10 and 11 o’clock.
- Anglage and polishing by hand
- Locking sections hand polished
- Sapphire blasted milled sections
- Lapped and polished contact points
- Burnished pivots
- PVD treatment
- Sapphire blasted surfaces
- Satin finished surfaces
- Anglage and polishing by hand
- Burnished sections
- Concave chamfering with a diamond tool
- Circular finished faces
- Gilded (before cutting the teeth)
- Minimum correction applied to the wheels in order to preserve geometry and performance
48.15 x 40.10 x 13.10