After the success of the limited RM 038 Golfer’s Tourbillon released in 2010, Richard Mille has undertaken the development yet another specific tourbillon watch for Bubba Watson with added functionality to complement his powerful drives on the course. The result is the RM 38-01 Bubba Watson, a timepiece that combines a patented G-sensor with a tourbillon mechanism, thus providing new insights for golfers during their game.
On looking at the RM 38-01 Bubba Watson, one’s attention is immediately drawn to the unique green case - bubba’s favorite color - which upon closer examination again demonstrates the mastery
and insight of Richard Mille in the revolutionary application of industrial materials for 21st century watchmaking.
Released in an edition of 50 pieces worldwide.
POWER RESERVE Circa 48 hours.
G-FORCE INDICATOR Composed of over 50 parts and measuring a mere 17 mm, the G-sensor is designed to visually display the number of G’s accumulated. It operates on the principle of displacement of a weight, and a needle on the scale indicates whether the number of G's accumulated. The G-sensor can record up to 20-G’s of acceleration. A push-piece at 9 o’clock quickly resets it to zero.
CALIBER RM038 Manual winding tourbillon with hours and minutes.
VARIABLE INERTIA, FREE SPRUNG BALANCE
The free-sprung balance provides better reliability in the event of shocks, movement assembly and disassembly. It also guarantees better chronometric results over an extended period of time.
WINDING BARREL TEETH AND THIRD-WHEEL PINION WITH CENTRAL INVOLUTE PROFILE
The central involute profile of the winding barrel teeth and pinion provides an optimal pressure angle of 20°. This promotes effective rotary motion and allows for compensation of possible variations in the engagement of the going train, thus insuring excellent torque transmission with a distinct improvement in performance.
SPLINE SCREWS IN GRADE 5 TITANIUM FOR THE BRIDGES
This permits better control of the torque applied to the screws during assembly. These screws are therefore unaffected by physical manipulation during assembly or disassembly and age well.
• Bezel side: in sapphire (1,800 Vickers) with anti-glare treatment (both sides). Thickness: 1.20 mm
• Case back: in sapphire with anti-glare treatment (both sides).
Thickness: at the center 1.00 mm and outer edges 1.73 mm
- Baseplate and bridges in micro-blasted grade 5 titanium
- Anglage and polishing by hand - Sapphire blasted milled sections
- Straight line grain finish of the upper surfaces
- Polished sinks
- Sapphire blasted surfaces - Satin finished surfaces - Anglage and polishing by hand - Straight line grain finish of the upper surfaces - Polished sinks
- Lapped and polished ends - Burnished pivots
- Concave chamfering with a diamond tool
- Circular finished faces
- Rhodium-plating (before cutting the teeth)
- Minimum correction applied to the wheels in order to preserve geometry and performance
48 mm x 39.70 mm x 12.80 mm.