This high jewelry tourbillon takes all of its cues from the swirling form of a twisting spiral, a shape expressed in many organic forms around us in the natural environment. The spray of diamonds emanating outwards in 14 rays from the tourbillon escapement at 6 o’clock can also be associated with the spiraling vortex one perceives in myriad galaxies of the Milky Way, an allusion to a whirlwind (the English translation of the French word tourbillon) or the spirally formed patterns of organic growth found within certain sea creatures, plants, trees and animals.
Each spiral ray of the RM 51-02 is perfectly set with a single row of diamonds; the case is set with white diamonds, and black sapphires have been added to accentuate case details. As a final flourish and with an eye for detail typical of Richard Mille’s fastidious approach, the crown has also been set with 3 rows of diamonds to complete the brilliant richness of this shimmering timepiece.
The RM 51-02 Diamond Twister will be available in an edition of 30 pieces.
DIAL The central dial is made in 18K white gold and set with 270 precious stones.
POWER RESERVE Circa 48 hours (±10%). This function is displayed using a differential power reserve system with a printed red line on a moving disc located between 10 and 11 o’clock.
BLACK ONYX BASEPLATE Onyx is a variety of cryptocrystalline quartz chalcedony composed of silicium dioxide, (SiO2). The rectilinear black and white parallel stripes version is part of the agate types. The fully black type is called Black Onyx, and is said to be able to deflect harmful energy down to the earth, while providing stability. For this reason, Black Onyx is considered as a charm-stone against spells. Black Onyx also symbolizes equilibrium and inspiration.
CALIBER RM51-02 Manual winding tourbillon movement with hours, minutes and power reserve.
VARIABLE INERTIA, FREE SPRUNG BALANCE
The free-sprung balance provides better reliability in the event of shocks, movement assembly and disassembly. It also guarantees better chronometric results over an extended period of time.
BARREL PAWL WITH PROGRESSIVE RECOIL
This device permits a profitable winding gain (circa 20 %), especially during the winding start, when the spring is not charged. It is also helpful in the distribution of the mainspring’s internal tension.
Bezel side: In sapphire (hardness 1800 Vickers) with anti-glare treatment (both sides) Thickness: 1.20 mm Case back: In sapphire with anti-glare treatment (both sides) Thickness: at the center 1 mm and outer edges 1.73 mm
- Movement dimensions: 30.20 mm x 28.60 mm
- Thickness: 4.97 mm
- Tourbillon diameter: 12.30 mm
- Balance wheel diameter: 9.12 mm
- Number of jewels: 21
- Balance: Glucydur, 2 arms, 4 setting screws, inertia moment 10 mg.cm2, angle of lift 53°
- Frequency: 21,600 vph (3 Hz)
- Balance spring: Elinvar by NIVAROX
- Shock protection: KIF Elastor KE 160 B28
- Stone setting in white gold
- Barrel shaft in nickel-free Chronifer (DIN x 46 Cr 13 + S) with the following characteristics: stainless- antimagnetic- suitable for tempering
- Anglage and polishing by hand (excluding Onyx baseplate and PVD treated parts)
- Locking sections hand polished
- Sapphire blasted milled sections
- Lapped and polished contact points
- Burnished pivots - PVD treatment (excluding the Onyx baseplate)
- Sapphire blasted surfaces
- Satin finished surfaces
- Anglage and polishing by hand
- Burnished sections
- Concave chamfering with a diamond tool
- Circular finished faces
- Surface treatment or rhodium-plating (before cutting the teeth)
- Minimum correction applied to the wheels in order to preserve geometry and performance
47.95 x 39.70 x 12.60 mm