When it was unveiled at the 2012 SIHH, the RM 056 split-seconds competition chronograph sapphire, a limited edition of 5 timepieces, caused a shock-wave in the watchmaking world with its pared down purity, its movement with exemplary finishing and its case made entirely of sapphire crystal. Following this technical feat and determined to continue challenging the very limits of fine watchmaking, Richard Mille has created another exceptional piece for 2013: the RM 56-01 Sapphire Crystal.
The RM 56-01 Sapphire Crystal symbolises all the expertise Richard Mille has accrued in showcasing a caliber through its sheer transparency.
Because the machining of sapphire crystal is an extremely difficult process, the RM 56-01 is only available in a very limited edition of 5 timepieces
CALIBER RM56-01 Manual winding tourbillon movement with hours, minutes, power reserve indicator, function selector and torque indicator.
FUNCTION SELECTOR In a manner similar to a car’s gearbox, the function indicator allows one to see the winding, neutral and hand setting positions as the crown is pulled out. Each position is indicated via a hand at 4 o’clock displaying the following functions: W (Winding) – N (Neutral) – H (Hands).
BASEPLATE, CENTRE BRIDGE AND THIRD WHEEL IN SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL The baseplate has been entirely removed and replaced by large, transparent plates that support the entire movement. The rhomboid crystalline structure of synthetic sapphire crystal Al2O3 has a high melting point of 2,303 Kelvins and a linear-expansion minimal thermal coefficient (6 x 10-6), which combined offer exceptional stability even in the most extreme conditions. Its resistance to abrasion is also eight times greater than that of steel. The third wheel and centre bridge are also made from sapphire crystal. The sapphire crystal of the centre bridge is ribbed to enhance the rigidity of the whole construction, while lightening the structure. All the parts of the RM 56-01 made from sapphire crystal have been treated with an anti-glare coating, and have also been subjected to strict testing to optimise their resistance capabilities.
TORQUE INDICATOR Supplies information about the mainspring’s tension, thus permitting the optimalization of the chronometric functioning of the movement. Below 53 dNmm, the spring is considered to be too slack, while above 65 dNmm, the excessive spring tension can adversely affect the mechanism’s operation, or else actually endanger it. (These indications appear on the numerical zone to the right of the barrel).
Circa 70 hours (±10%) displayed on a numeric scale to the left of the barrel.
MODULAR TIME SETTING MECHANISM FITTED AGAINST THE CASE BACK
Provides the following advantages for longevity and maintenance: - Since the component is mounted outside of the movement, the time setting assembly can be changed without affecting the integrity of the baseplate in the event of a possible defect or during maintenance, - The mounting and dismantling of this module from the back will not require the removal of the hands and the dial.
FAST ROTATING BARREL (6 hours per revolution instead of 7.5 hours)
This type of barrel provides the following advantages: - The phenomenon of periodic internal mainspring adhesion is significantly diminished, thereby increasing performance, - Provision of an excellent mainspring delta curve with an ideal power reserve/performance and regularity ratio.
BARREL PAWL WITH PROGRESSIVE RECOIL
This device permits an appreciable winding gain (circa 20 %), especially during the start of winding. It also aids in the even distribution of the mainspring’s internal tension.
IMPROVED TIME-SETTING SYSTEM (back of the movement)
By replacing engaging friction by rolling friction, the time-setting function is smoother.
- Movement dimensions: 33.20 mm x 30.90 mm
- Thickness: 5.36 mm
- Tourbillon diameter: 10.90 mm
- Balance wheel diameter: 9.12 mm
- Number of jewels: 28
- Balance wheel: Glucydur, with 2 arms and 4 setting screws, moment of inertia 10 mg.cm2, angle of lift 53°
- Frequency: 21,600 vph (3 Hz)
- Balance spring: ELINVAR by Nivarox®
- Torque indicator, in dNmm
- Shock protection: KIF ELASTOR KE 160 B28
- Stone setting in white gold
- Barrel shaft in nickel-free Chronifer (DIN x 46 Cr 13 + S), with the following characteristics:
stainless – non-magnetic – tempered
- Hand-polished beveling
- Hand-polished locking-sections
- Microblasted milled sections
- Lapped and polished contact points - Burnished pivots
- Wire-drawn and microblasted surfaces - Hand-polished beveling
- Drawn outer faces
- Baseplate polished on either side then treated with an anti-reflective coating
- Ribbed centre bridge with opaque indentations, polished on both sides then treated with an anti-reflective coating
- Third wheel polished on both sides
- Concave chamfering with a diamond tool
- Circular-decorated faces
- Gilding (before cutting the teeth)
- Minimal corrections to preserve the geometry of the wheels and their performance
50.50 x 42.70 x 16.75 mm.