The RM 68-01 Tourbillon Cyril Kongo watch will make horological history. For the first time ever, an artist has transferred his universe of the tremendously large to the heart of a watch movement. The RM 68-01 is the outcome of Richard Mille’s desire to introduce contemporary art within haute horlogerie in an unprecedented manner. Indeed, this tourbillon calibre is more than a watch, insofar as it also serves as a canvas for the inspiration and creativity of street artist Cyril Kongo. Never before has a work of art thus taken shape on the bridges and baseplate of a watch, becoming a truly integral part of the timepiece.
Each watch is individually taken to hand by the artist, creating a unique timepiece.
The asymmetric case design tapers two directions - in thickness from 9 to 3 o’clock and in height from 12 to 6 o’clock
It is assembled with of 20 spline screws in grade 5 titanium and abrasion-resistant washers in 316L stainless steel.
On the back of the watch, the central form of the tourbillon movement’s baseplate radiating outwards like a splash of paint physically thrown against a wall, and from the front the different movement bridges can be seen arcing in different directions like the wild brushstrokes found in street art murals.
TORQUE LIMITING CROWN This additional security system prevents from accidental overwinding, which could cause damage to the winding stem or putting extreme pressure on the mainspring barrel.
FAST ROTATING BARREL (6 hours per revolution instead of 7.5 hours) This type of barrel has the following advantages: - The phenomenon of periodic internal mainspring adhesion is significantly diminished and performance is thus enhanced, - Provision of an excellent mainspring delta curve with an ideal power reserve/performance and regularity ratio.
SKELETONIZED BASEPLATE AND BRIDGES IN GRADE 5 TITANIUM The baseplate and the bridges have been finished in grade 5 titanium, a biocompatible, highly corrosion-resistant and remarkably rigid alloy, which enables the gear train to function effortlessly. The alloy is 90% titanium, 6% aluminum and 4% vanadium. This combination enhances its mechanical properties, which explains its frequent use in the aerospace, aeronautical and automobile industries.
CALIBER RM 68-01 Manual winding tourbillon movement with hours and minutes.
- Movement dimensions: 30.50 mm x 28.70 mm
- Thickness: 8.39 mm
- Tourbillon diameter: 10.90 mm
- Balance wheel diameter: 10.00 mm
- Number of jewels: 19
- Balance wheel: Glucydur, with 2 arms and 4 setting screws, moment of inertia 11.50 mg.cm2, angle of lift 53°
- Frequency: 21,600 vph (3 Hz)
- Balance spring: ELINVAR by Nivarox®
- Shock protection: KIF ELASTOR KE 160 B28
- Barrel shaft in nickel-free Chronifer (DIN x 46 Cr 13 + S), with the following characteristics:
stainless – non-magnetic – tempered
Upper flange in grade 5 titanium with black galvanic treatment
- Bezel side: in sapphire (1,800 Vickers) with anti-glare coating (on both sides)
- Thickness: 1,50 mm
- Case back: in sapphire with anti-glare coating (on both sides)
- Thickness: 1.20 mm at the centre and 1.95 mm at the outer edges
- Baseplate and bridges in grade 5 titanium microblasted - Hand-polished beveling
- Microblasted milled sections
- Stretched upper surfaces
- Polished sinks
- Hand painted by Cyril Kongo
- Wire-drawn and microblasted surfaces - Hand-polished beveling
- Long strokes above
- Long strokes on sides
- Polished sinks
- Polished and lapped ends
- Burnished pivots
- hand painted by Cyril Kongo
- Concave chamfering with a diamond tool
- Circular decorations on the front surfaces
- Gilding (before cutting the teeth)
- Minimal corrections are made to the wheels to pr